Sunday, October 09, 2005

Sad, Indeed.

Being from the midwest northern woods, the New York Times always seemed a wonderful way to see the world. I remember how excited I was when a really nice older women managed to get me a Sunday Times delivered to her gas station every week. I mean, it was a way out of this forest, a forest I would never leave anyway. I love it too much. But the Times helped me be a better person of the world. & now the Times seems unable to see what it has done to itself. & the country is poorer for this demise. Toward the end of this month I may attend a presentation on what the Forest Service calls "spruce decline." It is something I am interested in learning more about. Sadly, the NYT's decline is something I had hoped would not happen. This country needs leadership everywhere, & the Times, in many ways, exemplified leadership in the news, no longer. The paper now denies it's best columnists to its Internets readers & seems to have its institutional head in the sand(or up its ass) when it comes to Judith Miller. & that is really too bad.

"It is NOT unfair now to speculate that a New York Times reporter conspired with members of the Bush Administration in a scheme to discredit a critic of the Bush regime. It is NOT unfair now to speculate that the management of the New York Times is engaged in obfuscation and stonewalling in order to cover up its complicity in Ms. Miller's actions."

No comments: