Monday, February 05, 2007

Peace

Via Altercation, we get this from Ann Jones at TomDispatch.com
I blame George W. Bush, the 'liberator' who looked the other way. In 2001, the United States military claimed responsibility for these provinces, the heart of Taliban country; but diverted to adventures in the oilfields of Iraq, it failed for five years to provide the security international humanitarians needed to do the promised work of reconstruction... It's winter in Afghanistan now. No time to make war. But come spring, the Taliban promise a new offensive to throw out Karzai and foreign invaders. The British commander of NATO forces has already warned: 'We could actually fail here.' He also advised a British reporter that Westerners shouldn't even mention women's rights when more important things are at stake. As if security is not a woman's right. And peace.

My emphasis.

1 comment:

samrocha said...

Hi, I found you while searching for peace-related blogs...

I try and invite those involved in the field of issues I write on to add to our dialogue at DR&P...

Stop by if you like, I will spend some time reading here now...

Peace!