Monday, April 28, 2008

Somedays I Don't Know Why I Even Try

I've been alive almost 59 years, I'm one month shy. When I was 18 I was able to go to one of the best universities in the world, the University of Wisco-Madison. I learned a lot in the 2 years I was in school & the 3 years I spent in Madison. I finished my BA 6 years later, & added a Master's degree in the '90s. One thing I somehow always believed - that this country, America or Amerika or the U. S. of A. had a lot of problems, a lot of historical baggage, a lot of really evil bastards trying & succeeding in gaining power, but, & here's the one thing - we were, at heart, a decent, progressive country. Boy, talk about being naive. It appears the fucking ReThuglican Party has been successful at one thing that I never thought would happen - they have managed to do what even George Wallace couldn't do, deny the vote to black folks & other people of color & people too poor to own or drive a car. Thanks Indiana you lousy state. You can add this to your fucking hall of fame which includes Bobby Knight (the best thing UW-Madison ever did was not hire you), Touchdown Jesus, Notre Dame & the fact that my best friend moved there. We haven't seen each other for a long time, I miss him. We both missed each other's children growing up. Oh, well, I'm just one more stupid, dirty fucking hippie who is overweight & has a bunch of bird dogs. Might be time for a beer or some gin or, no, that's Rush Limbaugh territory & you know how much he is loved by his followers. It's OK, he's a ReThug.
First of all, let's not forget that this may be the biggest political land mine the Bush administration has set for Democrats. "Voter fraud" was, you'll remember, at the bottom of the US Attorney scandals and one of their main tools for suppressing the Democratic vote. This is the realization of a very long term plan to chip away at the Voting Rights Act. Republicans, like all aristocrats, know that if enough average people vote, they will lose. Period.

This is true, but if you can't vote, you can't vote them out. If you can't vote them out, you say why bother trying to vote them out. If you don't bother to try, you embrace guns, god, & bitterness. That's not very original, but it's the truth. & of course, not being original means we must have Sen. Clinton in the White House. That will mean a lot of change, right? Wrong. But, frankly, right now, I just don't give a shit.

No comments: