Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Betty James, R.I.P.

The Slinky, a toy that I have a special fondness for, particularly when chicken pox is involved. The woman who gave the Slinky its name to the toy has died in Philadelphia. When I was a kid back in the 1950s, my dad brought home a Slinky for me to play with while I was home with the chicken pox. Why I remember that toy, rather than others is surprising to me. When The Kid got the pox, I went on a mad, frantic search for a Slinky, the original Slinky, the metal Slinky. My search yielded a blue on one side, white on the other plastic Slinky, ugh. Anyway, I hope The Babies don't get sick with chicken pox, but if they do, I hope their parents buy them a couple of Slinkys to play with.

http://rockalot.typepad.com/my_weblog/images/slinky_original_metal.jpg
http://cathistegall.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/slinky.jpg



1 comment:

Us said...

i remember that blue slinky well! now i know the story behind it. if landm ever get the pox we will be sure to carry on the tradition. and i think the metal ones are back in fashion and much easier to find. ;-)