Monday, September 05, 2005

Tired

It's early Labor Day morning. I'm drinking a cup of coffee & listening to/watching ESPN. I couldn't get the bike started last night, so I sewed some books together instead. The battery is drained, I think. I'm still getting used to the switches & apparently left something turned on. The New Orleans fiasco has drained me as well. The kid & I stood outside of Anne Rice's home (one of several) in the Garden District last spring. I took several photographs, the house was for sale & no one was living in it at the time. & right smack on the front door was a Kerry sign. Orleans Parish is a good blue parish. The rest of Louisiana, pretty much, went for Bu$hCo. I hope they're happy now. & the blame game has started - it's all Gov. Blanco's fault - it's all Mayor Nagin's fault. Bush has moved on with his life, as the American people expect. I'm not sure if Bu$hCo has ever met Mayor Nagin. I haven't. But I was in a Roman Catholic church in Treme last year at a memorial jazz funeral for Ray Charles. Mayor Nagin got up, put some sunglasses on, did an OK impersonation of Ray Charles & had some extremely kind & inspiring words to say about the dead singer. (Interesting bit of history - Charles played & stayed at a bar called the Dew Drop Inn, I kid you not.) Mayor Nagin then walked with us, black & white, as we headed for Sweet Lorraine's. It was very hot & there was a high humidity, a combination that stopped me after a mile of so, right at the cemetery where Marie Laveau is buried. After passing by a mule with a straw hat on, we entered the cemetery & did find her tomb/grave. Lots of red Xs all over the grave. We walked back through Treme, past the home of the Black Men of Labor, the church, & to our car. I don't know if Mayor Nagin made all the way to Sweet Lorraine's & the food, but he was there & he didn't make a political speech. He was celebrating.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bush did meet the Mayor when he toured the city.

Anonymous said...

imagine what the press would have said if he didn't?!