Saturday, September 03, 2005

Hell's Angels On Wheels, Or Something Like That...

So I bought a 1984 FLT Harley-Davidson yesterday. I brought it home in the horse trailer. I got it unloaded alright & began the practice. I had just passed the "Knowledge" test at the DMV yesterday morning. It's a big, heavy machine. Bigger once the motor is rumbling. Anyway, I was trying to get used to the throttle & the clutch & was making some progress. I then decided to put the kickstand down & you guessed it, I forgot about the part in the "Knowledge" test that urges a rider to always check where the kickstand will be once it is down. It was, how do I put this, in a bad place, a very sandy section of the driveway. So the bike went over on its side. I could not lift it back up. I finally got a railroad jack & got the beast standing again, but now before doing a bit of minor damage to the gas tank. I forgot to cushion that area when I was getting it upright. Anyway, the rest of the practice session went OK, no more tipping over. It's going to take more time that I had anticipated, but that's fine. I need something to take my mind of the awful lack of leadership we have in this country. I knew I would be angry at our leaders, but never that I would be as embarrassed as I am this morning. Off for more bike practice.

No comments: