Monday, February 28, 2011

Frank Buckles, R.I.P.

He's dead.  My grandpa fought in this war.  He didn't talk about it much, in fact I came along after WWII, a long time removed from WWI.  The one thing he did tell me, that was related to the war, was to never vote for a general, since they had little idea of what normal people experience.  I never forgot that & luckily I haven't had the chance to vote against a general.  I'm not so sure the candidates in my lifetime have been worth a shit, but I have voted in every election since I was 21 - yep, the bad old days where you could go & die in Vietnam, but you couldn't vote against the morons that kept it going.  At least I could drink beer at 18, no booze, just beer.  My grandpa died in his sleep 31 years ago, but I do remember a lot of what he said to me.  See, even dirty fucking hippies had grandfathers they listened to.  I know, it's hard to believe.

No comments: