Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Just Bullshit

I not against people working decent jobs, with decent wages, with decent benefits, with decent working conditions, but $7 an hour to pay your property taxes is just bullshit. As I look forward, from my pre-geezer status, everything looks pretty dim, pretty sad, pretty non-pretty. Again, as I've said numerous times before, this is not the country I imagined as a 20 year old.
The town is pushing a program that would let seniors work part-time, for $7 an hour, to help pay off some of their property taxes.

"People shouldn't have to sell their house, move away to a place with less taxes, leave behind their family and friends," said Town Supervisor Paul Feiner.

He envisions retired doctors mentoring schoolchildren, retired accountants helping with the town's finances, retired lawyers offering their services for a discount. But there are plenty of less-skilled jobs that need doing, he said.

"It's not like we're going to see grandma running the snowplow," he said. "There are lots of things people can do for the town and it wouldn't cost us that much to pay them."

My emphasis.

No comments: